Sunday 7 October 2018

Lyn Lifshin



              L     Y     N         L       I       F      S       H    I    N


Lyn Lifshin has published over 140 books and chapbooks and edited three anthologies of women's  writing including Tangled Vines that stayed in print 20 years. She has several books from Black Sparrow books. Her website shows the variety of her work from the equine books, The Licorice Daughter: My Year with Ruffian and Barbaro: Beyond Brokenness to recent books about dance: Ballroom, Knife Edge and Absinthe: The Tango Poems. Other new books include For the Roses, poems for Joni Mitchell, All The Poets Who Touched Me; A Girl goes Into The Woods;  Malala, Tangled as the Alphabet: The Istanbul Poems.  Also just out: Secretariat: The Red Freak, The Miracle; Malalaand Luminous Women: Enheducanna, Scheherazade and Nefertiti.



LATER,   GOING   BACK   TO   WHERE   MUSIC   POURED   FROM   THE RAMSHACKLE   PAVILION
                  
Not even a sign. Cove
Point. The dance hall
beams shuddered.
Scrubby weeds cover
where Pinky Johnson’s
fiddle doesn’t echo
in the dead leaves.
Summer nights,
aching to be wanted.
The lake’s green
breeze couldn’t keep
my cheeks from
flushing, wild to not
look like I cared
too much until some
one tapped my
shoulder. Fern musk,
trees bent into the
water. Without my
glasses, Pinky’s bow
and fingers blurred,
dancers, a swirl in the
lantern light until
the last dance, the kiss
in the center then
gliding home in
the dark, vowing not
to wash off that taste





WITH   EVERY THING   OPENING,  PEARS, MAGNOLIAS,  CHERRY   PETALS,  APPLE, DOGWOOD


The dead bloom, planted so
long ago. You never expected
much from them. It’s as if
with everything exploding, they
want you to marvel at them
too. The beauty of the plum
tree pales “short lived compared
to us.” “Yes, they are lovely,”
another sighs but remember how
I brushed your hair, washed it
in lemon juice. Doesn’t that
count?” Sometimes the dead are
 too loud, their fingers clutching,
hissing, “what do you remember
of the way I used to look?”
One newly dead reminds me of
the lilacs he left in a blue
Persian jar. The dead are sure
you would like to see them
and you would but you’re not
sure how much to say, bring
the green emerald sweater you
bought too big for one to wear.
The new blossoms must want
to make the dead tell you what
they hadn’t. They’ve been still
all winter, their season. I want
to just watch new life unfolding,
the mourning dove on her
nest, the wild plum, camellia.
But when I try to sleep with the
window open, the night bird
in blue wind, it’s always my
mother’s voice, “Honey, why
haven’t you called?”



ON  THE  NIGHT  THE  MOST  HANDSOME  POET WALKED  OUT  OF  THE  SCHENECTADY  COMMUNITY COLLEGE  READING  ALONE


Headed up State Street
it was June, still light.
Alone. I couldn’t
believe it. The last
raspberry light over
the old downtown
buildings. I watched
him pass Proctor’s,
the only lit up building,
past boarded up cafés.
I could not believe
there was not a flotilla
of women behind him.
I had not written a
poem yet, I was afraid
to ask him to auto
graph the book I
clutched. Alone. After
all the women he
left in tears. Sometimes
sent yellow roses to.
Sometimes mourned
on the page. Alone.
The most handsome.
Even years later
I could never tell him
it was like seeing
a Bugatti, a Lamborghini
somehow in the living
room to see him just
leaving alone,
strolling thru the town
empty as a De Chirico
painting while I stood
with my mother in
front of the bookstore
that no longer is,
held my breath



______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment